This historic chapel was built in 1875. It was made for the Irish miners who came from Ireland to the Far North of New Zealand to mine coal in Kawakawa in the 1860s. Constructed of solid kauri, it’s original site was in Kawakawa, approximately 20 minutes from Russell in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand.
How did it come to be in Russell?
The little chapel was purchased on it’s original site in Kawakawa and transported on the back of a truck to Russell via Opua. It floated across the Opua inlet on the Russell car ferry much to the amazement of many locals who watched the church go cruising by. It eventually found a new home at Jo and Ross Blackman’s Olive Grove in Russell in December 2012.